Boplaas Family Vineyards has been singled out as one of top producers at the 2018 Michelangelo International Wine & Spirits Awards, which were announced on the weekend. Now the largest competition of its kind in Africa, the competition received 2 255 entries this year.
Boplaas won two Platinum awards out of the 36 that were awarded, as well as a string of medals.
First of the Platinum winners was the Boplaas Cape Vintage Reserve 2016, a wine that consistently performs well across championships. It has been named Best Port at the SA Top 100; included in the Top 10 at the Cappa Challenge; and, rated 94/100 by British Master of Wine Tim Atkin.
Sharing Platinum status at Michelangelo was the Boplaas Single Grain Whisky, which is aged in barrels previously used to mature tawny port.
Boplaas also collected three Double Golds for:
- Boplaas Ring of Rocks 2015, a dry red blend in an outstanding vintage of Touriga Nacionial, Tinta Barocca and Touriga Francesa;
- Boplaas Cape Tawny Vintners Reserve, a Veritas Double Gold champion that is aged for 15 years in old oak barrels; and
- Boplaas Heritage Muscadel 2013, a wine that has notched up a Veritas Gold and Terroir Award, and shows a beautiful yellow colour with flavours of honey, apricots and dried peaches.
Then, the Michelangelo judges awarded five Gold medals to:
- Boplaas Cape Vintage 2016, a rich beautiful vintage Port with flavours of blackberry, chocolate, fruit cake;
- Boplaas Cape Tawny, which is aged for 10 years in barrels and shows nutty, fruit cake flavours;
- Boplaas The Chocolate Cape Vintage 2016, a rich port with flavours of dark chocolate and blackberries;
- Boplaas Single Grain Blended Whisky, which is aged for five years in ex-Bourbon barrels; and,
- Boplaas 15 Year Old Potstill Brandy, which shows rich dried apricot and peach flavours, integrated alcohol and a lingering taste.
A pair of Silver medals went to:
- Boplaas Eight Citrus Gin, which is distilled from eight different types of citrus; and,
- Boplaas Pink Gin, which is aged in ex-Cape Ruby Port barrels and shows delicious red berry flavours.
These award-winning drinks are available from the Boplaas cellar door in Calitzdorp and at Boplaas’ tasting room in Klipheuwel in Klein Brak along the Garden Route, as well as from discerning fine wine retailers nationally.